lunes, 14 de noviembre de 2011

Like a drop of water...Second grade



Introduction:
Hi! My name is Drip. I have come a long way to ask you to help me. I have traveled through rivers, lakes, clouds, and even oceans. I have been all over the world. Sometimes I am water. Sometimes I am snow. Sometimes I am steam, and sometimes I am ice. All these changes in form are a mystery to me.
Can you help me solve this mystery? Why do I keep traveling from place to place? Why do I change form




Task:
You will need to get into groups of 4 people. You and your teacher can decide who gets to be in what group. Each of you will decide what role you will play. Your choices are:






 Primary Investigator
Makes sure everyone in the group
  • understands what to do
  • is involved in the task
  • is being heard
  • gets help when needed
  • contributes to the discussion
 Materials Director
  • gets materials for the group
  • makes sure everyone has materials to complete the task 
  • contributes to the discussion 
 Records Manager
  • makes sure everyone contributes
  • records data
  • organizes data
  • contributes to the discussion

 Clean Up Chief
  • ensures the job is done carefully
  • organizes the clean up efforts
  • makes sure all group members help clean up
  • contributes to the discussion



Once you are in groups, then you will need to go through the clues I have found during my travels. You will find my clues on the next page.


Process: 

Clue 1:


Last week I was traveling through the air from a river. I heard someone say the word "e-vap-or-a-tion". That is it, the word was "evaporation!" I do not know what it means but I figure it must be important. You will need to learn all you can about evaporation to help me.
Read to find out more about evaporation. Once you have read about evaporation, you and a partner from your group will need to write a story about how I might have traveled around the world through the process of evaporation. Read for your story guide.


Evaporation:
When the sun heats up water in the ocean, a river, a lake, and even a puddle, it turns the water into vapor or steam. The water vapor or steam leaves the puddle, river, lake, or ocean and goes into the air.
That is called EVAPORATION!!










A Story of How Drip Traveled the World
Through the Process of Evaporation
 


Directions: Drip is a water drop that has traveled the world over and over again. Using what you learned about evaporation, write a story about the great adventures Drip might have taken.


Clue 2: 
Teachers: Click here for an inferencing mini-lesson 
Now that you know a little bit about evaporation, here is another clue. One day, I was sitting outside a Coke can and this guy named Drool was rapping. This is what he said over and over again, "con-den-sa-tion, pre-cip-i-ta-tion, con-den-sa-tion, pre-cip-i-ta-tion." I really thought he was losing his marbles!
I wonder if those words will help us figure out why I keep changing forms as I travel all over the world. Read to find out more about condensation and precipitation.
Using this template, you and a partner from your group will need to draw 2 examples of condensation and examples of 2 kinds of precipitation. Then write a story of how I might have traveled around the world through the process of condensation and precipitation.

Condensation:
Water vapor in the air gets cold and changes back into liquid, forming clouds. This process is called condensation.
You can make condensation happen, too. Pour a glass of cold water on a hot day and watch what happens.  Water forms on the outside of the glass.  That water did not somehow leak through the glass!  It actually came from the air.  Water vapor in the warm air turns back into liquid when it is cooled by touching the cold glass.
Now we know that clouds are formed by the process of condensation.







Precipitation:
When the clouds get so heavy with water that they cannot hold the water anymore, precipitation occurs. Precipitation takes different forms. Sometimes it is rain. Sometimes it is snow, but sometimes it can be sleet or hail. This is the way water in the air falls back to the earth.

Collection: 
When water falls back to earth as precipitation, it may fall back in the oceans, lakes, or rivers. Or it may end up on land.  When it falls on land, it can soak into the earth and become part of the “ground water” that plants and animals use to drink. It may also run over the soil and collect in the oceans, lakes, or rivers. Then the cycle
starts again.




Examples of Condensation and Precipitation
 

Directions: Drip is a water drop that has traveled the world over and over again. Using what you learned, draw 2 examples of condensation and 2 examples of precipitation. Then write a story of how Drip might have traveled the world through the process of condensation and precipitation.


Clue 3: 

Now you know lots of great information about evaporation, condensation, and precipitation. You are well on your way to helping me find out why I keep traveling all over the world.
One of the last clues I remember has to do with a cycle. Now, was it a bicycle? Maybe, a motorcycle? Oh, Oh, Oh! I don't remember!! Read to find out what kind of cycle. Then tell me so I won't forget again! =)
The Water Cycle:Imagine there is a glass of water next to you.  Pretend you are staring at the water long and hard.  Now -- can you guess how old it is?  
The water in your glass may have fallen from the sky as rain just last week, but the water itself has been around as long as the earth has!  That is a LONG, LONG, LONG time!
When the dinosaurs walked through lakes feeding on plants, your glass of water was part of those lakes.  When George Washington was President, perhaps he drank the same water you do now! When your parents were little, they may have gone swimming in the same water!
And you thought your parents were OLD! They are just babies compared to water.






No new water is ever made! Water simply goes through a form of recycling in what is called the Water Cycle. In the Water Cycle, water goes through changes that make it liquid and vapor over and over and over and over again!This cycle is made up of a few main parts:
  • evaporation
  • condensation
  • precipitation
  • collection



Now that you have read about the cycle, you and a partner are ready to show the cycle using the template provided here. Be sure to label all of the parts.





Finally, when you have finished that, each of you will need to write a letter to me, explaining why I keep traveling all over the world. You can start your letter with "Dear Drip." I JUST LOVE MAIL!! Here is a letter template to help get you started. I even put my address on it for you.


                                  

                                                               __________________, _____


Mr. Drip A. Drop
2 Puddle Drive
Rivers, Texas 011011

Dear Drip,

           























Sincerely,


Evaluation:
You will be evaluated on the following:
  • working well together in your group
  • learning about the water cycle
  • learning about evaporation
  • learning about condensation, precipitation, and collection
  • describing the water cycle to Drip
See rubric  for more details


























































Conclusion:
YOU DID IT!!! You were given clues and you figured out why I have been traveling all over the world. Congratulations!! You are so smart. I wish I had more friends like you. I have had so much fun working with you! Thank you so much for helping me. Now I understand why I keep changing.
Well, I am beginning to feel a little foggy. I am beginning to float in the air. I think I am moving along in the water cycle again. Can you guess which part of the water cycle I am in now?
Have a great day and think of me the next time you drink a glass of water!


Resources

Students are challenged to apply the the processes of the water cycle. Students will explore each part of the water cycle. As a part of a group, they will gain an understanding of the different processes of the water cycle. The students will gather information evaporation, transpiration, condensation, precipitation and collection. Using the format of a letter, students will be able to summarize the process of a water drop goes through in the water cycle.
Click here for a small video clip. You can show this to your students as an introduction to this WebQuest and as an introduction to the Water Cycle.


Learner:

This WebQuest was constructed for 2nd grade students as they cover the topic of the water cycle. Before setting off on their quest students need to be comfortable with:
1. Using a computer
2. Navigating the internet
3. Working with Internet resources
4. Taking notes from electronic sources and collecting data
5. Setting a purpose for reading
6. 
Synthesizing information across resources
7. Collaborating with their peers on a project








Process:
Students will work in groups, made up of 4 people. Within those groups they will pick a role of the Primary Investigator, Materials Director, Records Manager or Conservation Chief. The groups challenge is to identify why Drip has traveled all over the world. Student will summarize the processes of the water cycle in the form of a letter to drip. Students will collaborate, each contributing information based on their understanding of the water. The water cycle should be described in their letters to Drip along with each process. They will gain knowledge in the water cycle by completing each step within this webquest.
Students will be divided into 4-person groups by the teacher or in a manner that the teacher believes gives different strengths and abilities to each group. Within their own group students will decide which role to take on, but the teacher may facilitate this choosing.
The essential task should be kept in mind.
Drip wants to find out why he keeps traveling from oceans to lakes to snow and even ice sometimes!

Teacher information written in bold lettering:
For the first part of this webquest you will review the introduction, task and step 1 process as a whole group. You will not need to be in a computer lab if you have access to an LCD projector and a computer in your classroom. 

Student Directions:
Clue 1: (1 day) Clue 1: Teachers: Mini-lesson on Inferences
There are some clues that I have found along my way. I thought they might be important to help me find out why I keep traveling all over the world. One time when I was traveling through the air from a river, I heard someone say the word e-vap-or-a-tion. I didn't know what it meant but I figured it must be important. You will need to learn all you can about evaporation to help me.
Read to find out more about evaporation. Once you have read about evaporation, you and a partner from your group will need to write a story about how I might have traveled around the world through the process of evaporation.
You will want to print 1 story guide for every two people ahead of time. The information provided gives specific descriptions about evaporation and transpiration. You will want to go through the page with your students after they have had a chance to go through it on their own. This is a good time to have a discussion about all the ways water can evaporate. This will then help then in creating their stories.
Clue 2: (1 day) Teachers: Mini-lesson on Inferences
Now that you know a little bit about evaporation. Here is another clue. One day, I was sitting outside this coke can and this guy named Drool kept saying con-den-sa-tion, pre-cip-i-ta-tion, con-den-sa-tion, pre-cip-i-ta-tion over and over again. I really thought he was losing his marbles!
I wonder if those words will help us figure out why I keep traveling all over the world? Click here to find out more about condensation and precipitation.
Using this template, you and a partner from your group will need to draw 2 examples of condensation and 2 examples of precipitation. Then describe how I might have traveled around the world through the process of condensation and precipitation.
You will want to print 1 template for every two people ahead of time. You will want to go through the page with your students after they have had a chance to go through it on their own. This is a good time to have a discussion about condensation, precipitation and collection. This will then help them in creating their pictures and stories.
Clue 3: (2 days) Teachers: Mini-lesson on Synthesizing 
You are now a walking encyclopedia with lots of great information oozing from your ears about evaporation, condensation and precipitation. You are well on your way to helping me find out why I keep traveling all over the world. One of the last clues I remember has to do with a cycle. Now, was it a bicycle? Maybe, a motorcycle? Oh, Oh, Oh! I don't remember!!
Click here to find out what kind of cycle. Then tell me so I won't forget again! =) Once you have read about the cycle, you and a partner from your group will create the cycle using the template provided here . Be sure to label all of the parts.
Once you have finished that, you will need to write a letter to me, Dear Drip, explaining why I keep traveling all over the world. I LOVE MAIL!! Here is a letter template to help get you started. I even put my address on it for you.

You will want to go through the page with your students after they have had a chance to go through it on their own. This is a good time to have a discussion about the water cycle. This will then help then in creating their own water cycle diagrams.

I purposely left the words, evaporation, transpiration, condensation, precipitation and collection off the template. This is so they can work collaboratively to go back to research the exact words and spellings. The water cycle can be done in partners within their groups. You have the choice of using the template provided (If so, you will want to print 1 template for every two people ahead of time) or having the students use Inspiration in a computer lab setting. This is your choice. You know your students and what will work best for them.

Once they've completed the water cycle diagram then each student will need to write their own letter. The letter in an individual activity. You will want to have the letter templates printed ahead of time. This will also be a good time to have a mini lesson on the structure of a letter.

The amount of time allotted is roughly four 30-45 min. class periods. Flexibility is definitely needed for students who are inexperienced with using a computer to gain information. Time is also dependent on the number of computers students have access to and how comfortable students with using a computer.
Resources Needed:
Some of the resources needed to carry out this WebQuest are:
  • Computer with Internet Access for every 2 students
  • Inspiration software (optional)
  • Handouts
Student Documents:
Story Guide(1 for every set of partners)
Condensation Template 
(1 for each set of partners)
Water Cycle Template (1 for each set of partners)
Inspiration Template 
(1 for each set of partners) (optional)
Letter Template (1 for each student)
Rubric
 (1 for each student) 
Evaluation:
You will be evaluated on the following:
  • Individual and group participation and collaboration
  • Knowledge of the water cycle
  • Knowledge of evaporation and transpiration
  • Knowledge of condensation, precipitations, and collection
  • Description of water cycle to Drip
See rubric  for more details.
Conclusion:
YOU DID IT!!!  I have had so much fun working with you! 
I have had so much fun working with you! 
Have a great day and think of me the next time you drink a glass of water!






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario